Deer Park Bypass VIC
|Client:||VicRoads and Leighton Contractors|
|Project Value:||208 million|
|Scope of Services:||Project Management and Programming|
The construction of a new 9.3km freeway link from the Western Ring Road at Sunshine West to the Western Highway at Caroline Springs commenced in February 2007. This project was jointly funded by the state and federal governments.
Extensive consultation with multiple stakeholders and the general public ensured that construction works did not impact significantly on existing operations of the road and rail networks. A primary challenge for this high profile project was the interface of the new freeway into the existing infrastructure of the Western Ring Road and Western Highway in addition to an overpass over the Ballarat – Footscray rail line.
The traditional Design and Construct (D&C) arrangements were enhanced by integrating the owner and contractor teams, forming a united team in order to maximise the benefits of collaboration. By adopting this ‘One Team’ approach, the project was delivered ahead of schedule by using new and innovative programme management protocols.
- Advised on contractual time control clauses and processes
- Developed programme management protocols to serve the needs of all parties
- Advised resource requirements for the project
- Reviewed main contractor’s construction programmes
- Advised on revised sequencing and methodologies that were included in the construction programme
- Regular status and reporting of the project progress
- Assisted programme linked cost reporting and earned value management
- Advised on extension of time claims for all parties along with significant specification innovation, the project was opened eight months ahead of schedule virtually defect-free and achieving excellence in culture, safety, innovation and stakeholder management.
The project won the AIPM Project Management Achievement Award of Victorian Project of the Year for 2009 based on its innovative programming and design.